Thai herbal massage is a technical developed in Thailand originally to treat health disorders such as headaches and muscle soreness. But what is a Thai herbal massage? It is a massage that uses two Thai herbal compression ball as the massage element instead of the hands.
At Dee Dee Thai Massage in Bentleigh the reason encourage Thai herbal massages to be appointment only massage is because of the preparation required for the Thai herbal balls. Each ball must be soaked in water and then steamed to the correct temperature prior to beginning the massage. This process can take 15-20 minutes so we try to prepare prior to the customer arriving.
During the massage the herbal ball is rolled, pressed in a circular motion directly on the skin. The essential oils from the herbs work their way into the cotton cloth of the ball and when the ball is applied to the skin the oils and heat opens the pores and relax muscles.
What is a Thai herbal ball?
It’s a cotton bag filled with various herbs. The ingredients can vary depending on the maker and the use but traditionally there are 6 herbs used to make the herbal ball:
Lemongrass: This has antiseptic properties to clear and tone the skin, and is an anti-inflammatory when used topically for sprains, bruises, and sore muscles.
Turmeric: Its antiseptic properties soothe and cleanse irritated skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties.
Prai: This ginger is a natural moisturiser that relieves muscular pain due to its anti-inflammatory properties while softening the skin.
Kaffir Lime: The peels of these lime help tone the skin and boost blood circulation.
Camphor: It’s cooling and tingling sensation help to invigorate the skin, acts as a slight local aesthetic relieving muscular & arthritis pains, while the aroma helps relieve congestion.
Tamarind: Another herb with antiseptic properties, the acidity in this leaf is an astringent & thought to help the skin absorb the other herbal ingredients faster.
Thai herbal ball massage benefits
1. Energizes the body - this treatment revitalizes and energizes the body. It induces deep relaxation and eases the tension in the muscles. It balances emotional and physical health.
2. Improves emotional well-being - a Thai massage would release the tension in your body and follow a warm herbal ball massage will make enjoy a tranquil rest in a peaceful and calm emotional state.
3. Improves lymphatic system and blood circulation - the blood cells have a specific task of carrying oxygen to your body’s vital organs, providing vitality and energy. A normal blood circulation is a guarantee that your vital organs and circulatory system work in unison.
4. Relieves joint and muscle pain - many of the herbs used in the mixture of Thai herbal ball have antiseptic properties. It is soothing the muscle pain. Some herbs have a cooling effect which works as an anesthetic relieving muscular pain.
5. Skin benefits - the mixture of herbs has anti-inflammatory properties that are soothing the skin inflammation.This treatment cleanses the skin by promoting cell growth, nourishes and revitalizes the skin.